Re: [MV] Still looking for M35A2 Mirrors

From: Recovry4x4@aol.com
Date: Mon Jan 27 2003 - 10:03:08 PST

Mike, there are at least 5 different mirror configurations that I'm aware of
for your truck. All 5 of them allow folding of the windshield. The oldest
simply had a single metal rod with a small round head on it. A second design
has a bracket that bolts to the cowl on the drivers side and the M/G leg
mount on the right. These mirrors have 2 rods with telescoping abilities and
have rectangular heads. The ones you describe are probably the ones with the
heavy bar stock on the top hinge and and a support rod to the bottom hinge
with a rectangular head. There are 2 different styles of west coast mirrors.
Ones with the multi piece assembly and the bigger ones that have a welded
grid type network. Both attach to the hinge pins and have support rods going
to the cowl and sometimes the fender. The bigger ones I see on 10 tons too.
Both of these had the large rectangular heads and most were retro'ed with 6
inch convex mirrors. For visibility the west coasts are better by far. I
have the biggest ones and my complaint with them is they dont collapse out in
the woods and they stick way out. I also have a pair of the telescoping style
which I may try out and I have most of the stuff for the smaller west coast
setup. Before I decide, my truck will have had all 3 of these bolted on. My
opinion of the first two designs is that they aren't rigid enough to view at
idle with the multifuel engine. I'm not certain that the telescoping ones
will be any better either. As far as the really big west coasts, I feel that
unless you have a tractor or a 10 ton, they're just too big.
There, now you have at least my opinion of mirrors. By the way, John Bizal
offered up M35 mirror kits on the list a while back, he may just have some
left. His company is Midwest Military.

Kenneth Engle
Loxahatchee, FL U.S.A.
AM General M-35A2 w/w