Re: [MV] six ton 6x6 question, please read

From: John Seidts (jseidts@astory.com)
Date: Mon Jan 27 2003 - 20:48:31 PST

Dave,
        I think there are lots of things like this floating out there in the
military vehicle sphere. Unfortunately, hard to prove, as the contracting
info is hard to find. I have a few suggestions.
        First, check to see if there were any licensing agreements between
the companies. Ward LaFrance may have been appended to a contract just to
have the opportunity to manufacture an item, or perhaps to manufacture
components such as frames or springs (or whatever they had the facilities to
manufacture) to fill out orders. This is the case with Ford and spare parts
for Jeeps during WWII. They got on the contract just to sub-contract large
numbers of parts, and wound up being the largest supplier of spares. I
don't think this was a mistake on Ford's part. With the cost plus system,
Ford made more money only by selling more items.
        Second, have a look at the ownership of the companies. White motor
company bought up most of the large truck manufacturers at the end or right
after the end of WWII. They continued to badge the companies with the
original marque (Autocar comes to mind). Ward LaFrance may have had White
as an owner or a shareholder. If this was true, then White may have used
the corporation of WF as a contracting shell. There were lots of things
like this, and they were structured like this for tax advantages usually, or
for name recognition and market share. Corcoran Brown for instance.
Motolamp was a trade name for an auto headlight company which CB bought out,
and continued to manufacture under the name Motolamp. Same with Autolite-
owned by Ford Motor Company, but Ford still badged its parts as "Ford"
manufactured in the parts books (look at the early GPW manuals, under
manufacture for voltage regulators and generators- it says "own" even though
Autolite made them).
        Just some ideas on areas to research. Hope it helps.