bridge transport trucks

From: Everette (194cbteng@pchnet.com)
Date: Tue Jan 28 2003 - 08:26:51 PST

somewhere in my library I have instructions for launching these bridges -
dates from Vietnam - from memory there were 27 - 5 ton (really upgraded to
7.5) 35 deuces some 3/4 and some 1/4 and either wrecker or wheeled crane,
air compressor truck. I have forgotten how many men and officers in
addition to drivers.

This in addition to all the things you listed.

I talked with a group of fellows who were in a bridge company in Vietnam and
they told me that once a bridge was launched and erected many times it was
not picked up.

They told me about loading bridge trucks with sand bags and backing them
down road to look for mines. They would have three trucks so that wheels
covered road, his words "not the best duty I ever had" - went on to say
there were no casualties but did loose some trucks.

I have an M139 that was in Bermuda and I know some of the men that were in
the company that had the had them, and I met the fellow who drove my truck -
without seeing it he said for me to look in glove box door and stuck on back
of it were centers from "0" vinyl letters that he had stuck on door, "they
were there". He said also that the roller on back of bed would not turn for
the make a motor pool the backed the trucks into palm trees and uprooted
them and pushed them out of way. Roller on back of my truck just as he said
will not turn. He also asked had I noticed the "eyes" on front of hood,
they had made them from vinyl letters and white paint.

Everette