[MV] Spark Plug Wires

From: Paul A. Thomas (bluewhale@jaxkneppers.com)
Date: Tue Jan 28 2003 - 15:04:37 PST

The wires on my deuce appear a bit cheap.

http://www.paulathomas.com/images/REOCoilWire.jpg

http://www.paulathomas.com/images/REOCorodedcoilwire.jpg

http://www.paulathomas.com/images/REOOldStypePlugWireConnectors.jpg

( yes, as many or most of you have indicated, this was a hatchet job
<g>). The last photo shows the connectors which go over the tip of the
spark plugs.

The engine is an REO straight 6, 1953. Did anyone use assemblies this cheap
in that period? They basically just pull out of the hole in the
distributor, thus if the hole is not a good tight fit hitting a pothole
might jar it loose enough that you don't have a spark on that cylinder. (?)

The engine was converted to 12 volts. Would the spark plugs have been
converted as well? The distributor? Or is it possible I might be able to
find a real harness for the engine and use it instead?

While I'm asking, I'm curious about the carb. It's a Holley..

http://www.paulathomas.com/images/REOHolleyCarbDataPlate.jpg

http://www.paulathomas.com/images/REOCarb1.jpg

http://www.paulathomas.com/images/REOCarb2.jpg

It looks as tho there should be a gasket at the bottom of the carb housing,
where the line of gas/oil stains is. I had a great deal of gas flying
around the engine compartment when I was able to get it to turn over last
week, however I had thought it came from a hose which had been repaired
years ago with electrical tape. All hoses since replaced, along with
filter, but looking at the carb and the fact that the top is not that
tight against the bottom makes me wonder. Does this entire chamber fill
with liquid, or is it just a housing for the mixture of air and gas?

Thank you for your thoughts.

        Paul
        MVPA 24986
        '53 M35 REO Fire Conversion