Re: [MV] Carbon Mic Elements.

From: Ted Hintopoulos (hint@northnet.org)
Date: Wed Jan 29 2003 - 06:01:17 PST

Thanks All for the responses!

A couple of thoughts:

Yes, I have heated them (to dry them out), raped them,
ran current thru them (most required upwards of 100 volts before you had
any current flow)
and otherwise "encouraged" their reactivation.
Sometimes it does work.

ALSO:
"Better check Fair Radio's price on M-29's I got a new
one for $12!
The whole microphone!"

Yup, done that as well. I purchase for the mic holder, I don't figure that
the mic element works.
PLUS: I've purchased elements for the H-33s handset from them.
Guess what? Out of 5, got one that was close to spec, the other 4 were dead.
The newer (Vietnam and later vintage) dynamic mics fair far better.
I was glad to see them come into the system in the 60s.

I've purchased much from FAIR Radio over the last 35 years and am very
happy with them!
BUT, I know what I'm getting. The stuff is not fresh from the manufacturers
shelf.
Its surplus!

I still use an old Bell Tel phone that has the same type of mic. In the home,
the enviroment for them is much more conducive to longevity. The elements
have not been
sitting in the hot humid sun at some flea market waiting for me to take
them home.

I've been swamped with radios with the complaint, Low Modulation. The
customer would also follow up
with...But the Mic Works!
Well yes, sort of....is my reply.

I'M GETTING LONG.....
I have the opportunity to purchase some "recently" manufactured carbon mics.
Once I'm satisfied, I'll get back to those that have asked about them.
Least you wouldn't be getting flat PRC-25 batteries "Dated 1999".

Thanks for the feedback, I value them all!
Ted Hintopoulos