Jeep is Driving Slow - Diagnosis

From: Horrocks, Aaron (ACHb@pge.com)
Date: Thu Jan 30 2003 - 10:18:01 PST

So I took all the advice I got seriously:

The axels were not changed, the gear ratios are good.
The tires were not to big - They are the correct size. The tires move freely, and the brakes aren't rubbing.
There wasn't any gas in the oil. Doesn't flood at idle. plugs not wet
The engine doesn't run hot, well too hot anyway.
The oil filter is new & clean. air filter is good and no obstructions there.
The carb is doing fine.

I have yet to check out the fuel pump and the corresponding passage from the intake manifold to that valve's diaphragm, which could be part of the problem. I'll get to that sometime soon.

However I did take the distributor apart to find that the civilian junk had tons of slop in it. I'm actually amazed that the engine even runs after seeing the worn-out parts with too much play! Clearly, I need to make getting the 12V civilian parts out of ma jeep a priority and get all the 24V OD goodies back into her.

Thanks for the help from all you experienced MVers out there.

Aaron Horrocks
1952 M38A1