Siphon vs HVLP painting

From: Bob Muller (bmuller@marathonheaters.com)
Date: Fri Jan 31 2003 - 05:50:40 PST

I have been using a good siphon paint sprayer (Binks) for several years now
with pretty good results. Recently a friend told me that I would be much
happier with an HVLP gun. According to him and what I have read, you use
much less paint, there is less overspray, you can spray in tight areas
(behind steering wheel) and it does better in confined areas. ( BTW , I
spray red oxide and epoxy primers, and primarily Gillespie enamel using a
7.5 HP commercial compressor with lots of moisture filters)

Questions: I can buy a good SATA HVLP gun on ebay typically for around
$100 to $150. 1) Is there any other special equipment recommended or can I
just use it on my existing set up like the siphon gun? 2) Any
recommendations on HVLP guns by brand or model? 3) Those that have used
both - is it worth the switch?

Any other thoughts or recommendations? Thanks!

Bob
www.vehiclesofvictory.com

Bob Muller - Water Heater Innovations, Inc
        bmuller@marathonheaters.com
Voice (518)872-1002 Fax (518)872-1012
       http://www.marathonheaters.com