RE: COOLING SYSTEM LEAKS

From: Jim & Pat Winne (jwinne@nettally.com)
Date: Sat Feb 01 2003 - 16:17:51 PST

Hi group;

I have used many of the commercial stop-leak products and have had some
success with a lot of them. I did have some problems with them gunking up
the heater core or radiator, though. Years ago, I learned of an old "oil
field" trick from my brother, who worked in one while going to
school. They had a lot of old trucks that were pretty beat up and didn't
get much care. If they happened to forget to drain the cooling system of
one and it froze, cracking the water jacket, they had a trick to fix it in
the field. I would not have believed it if I had not seen it myself. They
would fill the radiator and crank the truck, adding more water as needed,
and when it got up to temp, they would pour in a can of nutmeg and put the
pressure cap on. Shortly after that, the leaking would slow to a stop. at
this point, they would let it cool down, add more water, and go on using
it. I used this method on a rusted out freeze plug on my old '65 Barracuda
and never had any more leaks from it. I think that it has to do with the
powder being sticky under pressure through an orfice and that it clots kind
of like blood. I have had many differing opinions on whether or not this
works or what it may damage but I found it to work as well as any of the
commercial stuff. This is just my opinion, however, and you must use your
own judgement.

Jim (KB4IVH)
flame suit on and hand on eject button =^0