Re: [MV] Columbia. Negligence there?

From: Dave Ball (vought@msn.com)
Date: Mon Feb 03 2003 - 01:10:41 PST

The real areas of trouble on reentry would be the leading edges and the
bottom of the shuttle because it comes down with the nose slightly pitched
up to deflect the heat over a larger surface area and to take advantage of
dynamic braking with the delta wing.
From the NASA description of the sensors going off line all in the left wing
area connected to separate data collectors and the fact the sensors showed
the heat rising in internal compartments in the left wing such as the left
main gear bay and the tire pressure was rising from that heat as well will
eventually be found to be the cause of the shuttle breaking up probably from
burn through of the outer titanium skin under the ceramic tiles after they
fell off due to the damage sustained during launch.
I had to explain to my 5 year old son today what happened and why we go to
space he seemed to take it all in pretty well except that someone's Daddy
and Mommy was not coming home from work I may keep him home tomorrow because
the Schools seem to have this need to over psycho analyze how the kids react
to this stuff.
I think later in life my son will remember this as a tragic event in the
gray cloud of youth.

Dave