RE: [MV] Radios in our MV's is it legal

From: Trish & Carla (wa6ube@tactical-link.com)
Date: Tue Feb 04 2003 - 07:20:28 PST

Trust me ......

There is no FCC requirement that licenses the
possession of communications equipment ..

If it is used in transmit mode however, licensing
its use is dependant on what part of the frequency
spectrum in which it is being used..

Tactical (wide-band) FM radios don't really have
a legal home anywhere from a non-military point
of view, since they run 15 KHz deviation in lieu
of the narrower 5 KHz deviation of amateur radio
FM equipment ...

It is a common practice to use tactical FM radios
within the amateur radio service, and generally,
traffic is common on 51.0 MHz .. Not "close-talking"
the microphone will reduce the spectrum taken up
over the air, and other stations will then need
to turn up their receive volume to make up
for the reduced transmitted FM bandwidth..

Patricia Gibbons
Communications Services Manager
City of San Jose ..

--