Re: [MV] Radio security in a MV

From: Ronzo (rojoha@mil-veh.org)
Date: Tue Feb 04 2003 - 14:09:55 PST

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 23:47:39 -0700
  "Nathan Wilkens" <nathan.wilkens@asu.edu> wrote:
>I have a CUCV and am thinking of completing my setup with a RT524
>radio.
>However, I have some concerns about theft living in a big city....

     Since you have all that nice glass that allows everything to be
seen, I wouldn't leave it in palin view if your not doing something MV
related. I kept everything under a blanket in the back of my 76 Blazer
and 78 Suburban. Out of sight, out of mind.
     If you do leave it in the truck, try to lock it down whatever way
you want. The harder it looks to steal will scare away the quicky
thief if he even stops to look at it. A PRC-77 or RT-524 isn't
something that is easily fenced at the local bar.
     The more likely thief will unfortunately be a fellow MV'er.
     Remember that ALL CUCV vehicles use the SAME key for ALL door
locks and ignition. So, if you haven't changed out the door lock
cylinders and ignition key and you loose your key at an MV meet,
relax. Twenty or thirty people should be able to open your truck for
you and probably even loan you a spare key to get home. Haven't met an
NG or former NG member who didn't have a key for the unit vehicles,
just in case.
So make sure you chain your steering wheel if you keep the one key
system.
     Otherwise take a trip down to your local PeP boys or whatever and
order up new door and ignition lock cylinders, or take yours out and
go to a locksmith and have them repinned and new keys made.
     You can't stop a determined thief from taking what you have,
unless it isn't where he is.

  Regards, Ronzo
  Collector of OD Lawn Art and Curios
1968 M35A2ww (runs) M105A1