Columbia

From: Floyd Petri (fpetri@eastex.net)
Date: Tue Feb 04 2003 - 17:32:06 PST

Well I have heard about everything that can be said from NASA about how it
would not have mattered because no one could have done anything about it
anyway. I have heard from all you arm chair Generals about how terrible is
was and I agree. I can't stand it any longer. I only post about once or
twice a year and I just have to say it. Here is my 2 cents worth.

If I was running NASA the Columbia Astronaughts would be alive today and the
Columbia would not be in a million pieces. I just don't know why no one has
any common sense any more. Here is what I would have done if I was running
NASA.

Houston to Columbia. This is the big boss of NASA speaking. Here is what you
are going to do. Just drive on over to the Space Station. Push it higher in
orbit because you are the only one that can do that right now and it needs
to be done. Great. Good job. Thanks. That saved the Space Station. Now
listen up. They have the suits and equipment for space walks at the Space
Station. Tell them to get off their ass and on their feet and go outside and
inspect the Columbia for damage because it was hit on lift off. If it is
damaged then you just stay at the Space Station a while and enjoy. In the
meantime I will have my super scientist design and build what ever is
necessary to repair the tiles on Columbia or what ever is wrong and have it
sent to you on the next supply rocket in a few days. Now quit your bitching
and tell me that building the Space Station is harder than repairing the
tiles on Columbia. Yes I thought so too. Now if you get tired and can't
repair it in a day or two or three just take your time until you get it
right. Then come home "Alive".

Yes I think that would have saved everything and everyone I think. And if
it could not be repaired then this is the next decision. Until such time
that we can come up with something to repair the Columbia here are my
orders. Columbia will be assigned to the Space Station and will be left at
the Space Station for two reasons. First it can be used to push the Space
Station into a higher orbit when it is necessary. Second it can be used to
evacuate the Space Station in the event a big asteroid is coming. Since the
Columbia was damaged during lift off and we see the damage then there is no
reason to ground the other shuttles. Another shuttle will be up to bring the
new Space Station rotation crew and to bring Columbia's crew home.

Floyd.