Re: [MV] Radios in our MV's is it legal

From: Patrick Jankowiak (eccm@swbell.net)
Date: Wed Feb 05 2003 - 00:12:08 PST

Trish & Carla wrote:

> Trust me ......
>
> There is no FCC requirement that licenses the
> possession of communications equipment ..
>
> If it is used in transmit mode however, licensing
> its use is dependant on what part of the frequency
> spectrum in which it is being used..
>
> Tactical (wide-band) FM radios don't really have
> a legal home anywhere from a non-military point
> of view, since they run 15 KHz deviation in lieu
> of the narrower 5 KHz deviation of amateur radio
> FM equipment ...

Narrow FM is a practice, convention or courtesy,
not required by law on the amateur bands. The wide
stuff is legal to use. The RT524 has the 15 KHz
wide deviation, +/-7.5 KHz (if I am not mistaken),
and the oldy moldy stuff like the RT-68 is 30 KHz
wide.

> It is a common practice to use tactical FM radios
> within the amateur radio service, and generally,
> traffic is common on 51.0 MHz .. Not "close-talking"
> the microphone will reduce the spectrum taken up
> over the air, and other stations will then need
> to turn up their receive volume to make up
> for the reduced transmitted FM bandwidth..

This is true if the receiver is wideband. If the
receiver is narrow band and the transmitter is
wide, but given a lower level sound input to the
mic, the volume would be fine. A given receiver
volume is proportional to the transmitter's
deviation within the bandwidth limits of the
detection circuit and the voltage-handling ability
of the audio stages following.

An example (legalities aside) is when trying
communicate between the +/-2.5KHz narrow band
"family radio service" (FRS) radios and an older
+/-5KHz wideband UHF FM GMRS radio. On the GMRS
radio's end, the audio will be too soft. On the
family radio's end, the audio will be too loud and
possibly distorted (unless the operator speaks
softly).