Re: M728 (Flame)- if you want an ambulance driver, we'll send you one

From: John Seidts (jseidts@astory.com)
Date: Tue Feb 11 2003 - 05:45:43 PST

Hey Hank,
            If they really want an ambulance driver, we should send them
one. Personally, I like driving ambulances. But the 2000 hours of training
(equivalent to a baccalaureate degree) as a Special Forces medic and
Paramedic has induced many to call me and assist them with post partum
endometritis, sub acute bacterial endocarditis, various complex
arrhythmias( to include atrial fibrillation, supra-ventricular tachycardia,
first, second, and third degree heart block, junctional tachycardia, etc)
anterior, posterior, septal and inferior wall myocardial infarctions, multi
systems trauma (including tension pneumothorax, hemothorax, traumatic
asphyxia, type 1, 2, 3 and 4 pelvic fractures, traumatic amputations, La
Forte 1, 2 and 3 facial fractures, acute laryngeal and pharyngeal airway
obstructions), left and right sided congestive heart failure, Crohn's
disease, ruptured esophageal varices, status asthmaticus, epileptic and non
epileptic seizures, closed head injuries, hemorrhagic and embolic cerebral
infarctions (which must be distinguished from transient ischemic attacks),
acute psychoses, chronic depression, burns, cold injuries, chemical
injuries, et alia.

        So if you are not suffering any of the above ( or feel confident in
your diagnostic capabilities), just let us know, and we'll send an ambulance
driver to help you get to the hospital. If you are concerned that you are
unable to distinguish the above maladies (and an ambulance driver with his
20 hours of training may have a spot of trouble making such subtle
distinctions as outlined above), then just dial 911, and in 75% of the
country, within 20 minutes on average, a paramedic who is also capable of
driving an ambulance will arrive, his NHTSA -MANDATED- 750 hours of training
under his belt perhaps capable of helping you resolve your acute medical
problem.

        And thank you so much for taking notice of the last 30 years of
advances in emergency medical technology and staffing throughout the
country. We who are in this profession truly appreciate the public's
knowledge of our resources, training, expertise, and extremely long good
track record of service to our communities.

John K. Seidts
NREMT-P/Firefighter, and not just an ambulance driver

PS Historical note: I think this term came about during WWII. For those
who did not know, back then ambulances had one driver, and no attendants in
the back. Their whole job was to move patients around, not attend to their
needs. I like the modern system better.