From: Jason DeGroat (moparman@nep.net)
Date: Sat Feb 15 2003 - 11:14:20 PST


I have just joined the list and am looking forward to talking with
everybody. I'm in PA and I have a question for anybody that may know about
the state's licensing policies.

I am looking at purchasing an M123 10-Ton tractor that has been fitted with
a dump body. I don't have any intentions for using this truck commercially.
Strictly for hobby / light work usage, but I want to be able to drive it on
the road. I want to avoid the $400-500 yearly licensing fees and inspection
fees associated with a truck this large. The truck is a '68 Consolidated
and qualifies for antique plates (min 25 years old). With this type of
plate you only pay a one-time fee ($75 I think) and you are exempt from a
yearly vehicle safety inspection. I think that I could get one of these
plates to cover the licensing costs.

The problem is, a truck this large requires a CDL license (that I do not
have). Does anybody know if you need to possess a CDL if the truck will not
be used for commercial use? I have heard that NY state allows agricultural
use of heavy trucks without requiring a CDL but I have not been able to
confirm this. I am also thinking that you might not need the CDL because
the truck would be registered as a classic or antique vehicle. I have
looked at the state's DOT site, but so far have found nothing. Any


This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.4 : Wed Apr 23 2003 - 13:25:29 PDT