Re: [MV] ferret fix questions

From: Alan R Wise (awise1@cinci.rr.com)
Date: Thu Feb 20 2003 - 08:10:39 PST

on 2/20/03 9:50 AM, b52d@piace.com at b52d@piace.com wrote:

> I am trying to figure out what the US civilian equivilant is for the
> oil used in the hubs on a ferret Mk1.

90wt. Gear lube

> Also, what is the proper adhesive to use on the rubber pads around
> the commanders opening?

3M Weatherstrip adhesive

> Anybody got any good tips as to how to get the oil into the hard to
> reach places that the manuals show using the oil gun (looks like a
> plunger grease gun)that I do not have?

Just use the pointy tip on the gear lube bottle.

> As I understand it the starting voltage is 24 but the running voltage
> is 12???

All 24v. Alternator is two-speeds, but always 24v.

> Does anybody else think the Canadian and British manuals read
> something like Japanese stereo instrunctions?

Who cares? Its still a very detailed manual.

> I am also looking to revist a simple explanation of the drive train
> wind-up. How to know if it is happening, how to avoid, what to do if
> it happens. I probably did not phrase this one properly.

Just drive some gravel, dirt or grass, or hit a bump, every 20 miles of so.
No biggy.

This is from owning two Ferrets, two Foxes, and a Saladin; all similar drive
trains.

Alan Wise