Re: [MV] Found Tanks - one last thought from me

From: GOTAM35 (gotam35@sc.rr.com)
Date: Sat Feb 22 2003 - 20:55:09 PST

I guess we all want a free German tank, but when reality sinks in I realize
that's not going to happen. So here's the question of the day.

If given the opportunity to see, touch and photograph such things, would
you? Ownership is nice, but I'll have to say from my point of view that to
sit down at the tire store or dentist office and tell a total stranger about
the time I got to help pull a Panther or Sherman out of the mud some where
far, far away would be reward enough. Most of us work 40 hours a week at a
job that is relatively mundane (this list may be THE exception to that
statement) and do very little that is unique or extraordinary. That's half
the reason I flew on the B-17 and B-25 last year. You don't get to do that
every day. I went and toured the facility where the "Hunley" (civil war
sub) is stored. These things are rewarding to me. I don't have to own
these things to experience them.

With this thought in mind, you don't have to be rich to pull the tank out of
the mud. You would have to be rich to take it with you. So, anybody know
of anyone that is trying to recover a war relic anywhere in the world that
might need a hand?

Joe Trapp

One more question. Does anybody try to bring up stuff like tanks from the
ocean? Is there less red tape? Is the stuff so far gone that it is not
worth the trouble? Can everybody swim?