Re: [MV] Found Tanks

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Sat Feb 22 2003 - 23:27:54 PST

Hi Sarge,

Sounds like you ran into a M7 Priest. Did it look to be a 105mm gun? If
you could describe the APC type thing you saw, I could take a swing at
identifying that. The only true APCs used in WWII by the any force would
have to be the Canadian RAM Kangaroo. This was an obsolete RAM tank with
turret removed so a section? (can't remember the total capacity) could
ride fully enclosed in armor. The RAM was based on the US M3 program
(Lee/Grant) but built exclusively for the Canadians by Canadians.

From what I have come to understand the Ardennes has been pretty well
picked over of the easy stuff. However, there are sure to be tons more
treasures that aren't so easy to find. Some of this stuff does come out
into the open market. I know of a place in Luxembourg that specializes
in recovered items.

Steve

P.S. The .50 cal round probably came from any number of Allied armored
vehicles or, even more likely, standard infantry companies. I have no
idea what would distinguish a .50 cal round from one of these things from
another.