M998 Humvee Starter Bolts

From: Pfarrp@aol.com
Date: Sun Mar 09 2003 - 09:14:58 PST

Hi:
On startup this am, I noticed the starter was very noticeably louder than usual....didn't think anything of it...But a few mins later I went to start it again, and the starter drive was just grinding the flywheel.....Got under and found one of the starter bolts was not there....looked up in the hole and it appears to have broken off in the engine...Question is: what would cause this, and what is the bolt I will need to replace it, assuming the broken piece comes out of the engine...Should these be grade 8 bolts, and are they just a std bolt?
Any help would be appreciated.......
Thanks!
Peter

Its just one thing after another with this beast!