Re: [MV] M35 lockout hubs installed - fuel savings?-Correction-

From: Recovry4x4@aol.com
Date: Tue Mar 11 2003 - 07:32:50 PST

I'll jump in here just in case Bjorn is busy. You are correct about there
only being a shim type washer between the axle gear and the carrier. If you
were to constantly spin the one axle from a loss of traction it would have
the same effect on both differentials. Remember that in removing one axle we
have left the interaxle shaft in place. As long as this is in place both
ring gears will be spinning the same speed. If a forward axle tire looses
traction and spins, it spins on the axle and spider gears. The same happens
on the rearmost axle because it senses a loss on traction on the one side
where there is no axle shaft. I imagine that if one had enough time and
determination, they could burn up the spiders but most would give in to being
stuck and call for help before they burned up. My tire formula matches the
tallest tires with the shortest tires on the same axle. This causes almost
constant spider action but its so slight, and the gear lube is always
sloshing, it causes no increased wear. That should be the long and short of
it but since Bjorn is so much better at putting to words, he may have to add
more info.
Kenny