Re: [MV] Deuce 8x8

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Tue Mar 11 2003 - 18:57:12 PST

>Since we are on the subject of the rear end of the deuce... wouldn't it be
>possible to connect the flange of the thru shaft of the rearmost axle to a
>driving axle on a trailer?

How about my idea of making a deuce into a mini-Hemmt (8x8). Take a complete
rear trunion assembly from a donor deuce, remove the front and all the
springs, mount the trunion onto the front and then mount both the front
axles onto that front trunion assembly, this would have the front-front axle
in the same place as the original and the rear-front axle in between it and
the front-rear. Move the T-case back, perhaps move the engine/tranny back
and up, take all the sheet metal off the front of the cab and box it in then
move it forward and down, get the idea???

The biggest trick I can think of would be the get the Ackerman angles to
work out for the steering, the rest is cut and paste. I already ran the
numbers on the effect of having the two front axles locked together in a
turn and the effect is pretty small, but the turning angle do have to be
correct.

I'm in the middle of a goat right now but someday I'd like to try this, of
course many people tell me I have to much time on my hands.

later,

je