Recent Discussions (limited MV content)

From: Jason Herr (hobie@mail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 14:22:24 PST

Folks,
        I've been hearing a lot about the French, the protestors in Iraq, and
President Bush's actions. While I'm all for folks expressing their opinions,
I wonder if why we aren't focusing on the folks that could use some support.
        I'm talking about folks who use todays MV's in the field. My wife's
cousin is an example. He's in the field, and gets care packages from us, his
folks, his fiance, and he passes some along to folks in his group. While I
am planning on sending more to him, and to his unit (no names, no divisions,
no branches intentionally) by sending it to "ANY SOLDIER" at his mailing
address. There are folks who have been working on an more personal
alternative to this sort of thing.
        http://groups.msn.com/hugstokuwaitadoptasoldier has been reported on
by CNN/HN. (We have a CNN guy on the list, I'm hoping he could pass it along
that this is not found on their website) You sign up, and get a mailing
address. You then create a package (with contents that they suggest or
whatever you think would be appropriate) and mail it. Stuff that I've heard
is nice, is sample-sized bottles of cleaners, shampoo, toothpaste, or
entertainment magazines. (Seems like folks don't wanna think about military
fiction over there). I'm hoping this will start a thread on things a soldier
could use in the field.
        I'm hoping folks can find this useful. Parents could find out if
their children's teachers are having their classes send items to soldiers.
        If you are opposed to the war, that should mean that you should be
even more inclined to support our soldiers. They are willing to lay their
lives on the line for us. That's their job. It's our job to take care of
them, by making them know they are appreciated, and by holding our leaders
accountable. Folks need to know the two are not mutually exclusive.
No matter what happens, our troops deserve the best.

                                Thanks for reading,
                                        Jason Herr