Re: [MV] surplus parts

From: Ryan M Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 15:11:16 PST

At 6:05 PM -0500 3/12/03, Beth wrote:
>If someone wanted to pretend to be a UPS guy and deliver your MV parts, he
>could pretty easily sew one up himself. I've heard the rumor and have
>personally dismissed it.

Yeah, that's very very true. Heck, you could probably get one, ship
it to Pakistan, get 100 made up really cheap (just like re-enactors
do) and then issue them to your terrorists.

Its not unlike the issues of US combat uniforms getting out in the
world. If you look at Foreign news footage of South American civil
disturbances, you'll see troops from countries friendly to the US in
US combat gear, helmets and other kit but with CETME rifles and
different patches. Limiting availability of Uniforms in the US won't
do a bloody thing if the US government gives them away as part of aid
packages to "friendly" nations that could just turn around and sell
them to higher bidders.

Then there is the issue of reproduced uniforms. Not really hard to do
if you set your mind to it. If they can scrape together weapons,
explosives, and even Chem or Nuke weapons, some PASGT gear, web gear
and fatigues would be a piece of cake. Heck, re-enactors reproduce
WWII uniforms....not really that hard.

--
--
- Ryan Montieth Gill                         '01 Honda Insight -