[MV] Bill K's Trailer Question

From: Herr Bookmonger (herrbookmonger@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Mar 14 2003 - 15:57:36 PST

Bill,

My father is a retired trailer dealer in Penna. I wrote him with your
dilemma and this is his reply. Sound advice in my estimation
(Answer below original question.)

Herr Bookmonger

>Does anyone out there in MV'er land have a preference on
>commercially (not commercial) built trailers for hauling a Jeep? I need
>something with tandem wheel setup and ramp(s), prefer no tilt trailers.
The
>trailer needs to haul at least 4,000 lbs to cover the Jeep and some
>equipment, Craftsman tools <grin> and other stuff. Again, I am located in
>Maryland so would prefer something in the Maryland, S.E. Penna or Del.
>areas. I have to move mine about 285 miles to it's new home with a garage
>and want my own trailer not a rental or loaner.

---------------------
HB
Several choices. He could buy a trailer such as landscapers use to haul
their mowers etc. Cheaper/ Multi uses etc. BUT Would only be good for a
Jeep etc that has high ground clearance as trailer deck is higher on this
type of trailer as angle of approach is much steeper and higher at deck
level where the ramp/tailgate meets the deck. Other option, which is a bit
more money is to move to car transporter type with pull out ramps/built on
tie downs etc. that is made for hauling vehicles. Both of these trailers
would have tandem 3500# axles[total 7000# GVW]The power unit that will be
towing the trailer is of great importance. Both of these trailers would be
equipped with electric brakes which would necessitate additional control
unit to be installed in the tow vehicle. Not hard to do but will add about
an additional $100.00. Either trailer would resell good on the used market
if he decides to get rid of it in the future. Also, remember that certain
states,among them-Penna. require brakes on BOTH axles. Most come with only 1
brake axle and would not be able to be registered in Pa or a number of other
states.I would sell a 16ft car transp. with solid diamond plate deck/tie
downs/ramps EZ lube hubs plus necessary control unit in tow vehicle for
about $2300.00 out the door. Prices vary, but as always, remember-BUYER
BEWARE- there are a lot of CHEAP trailers out there that look pretty when
new but self destruct in a few short years. If you need more info let me
know.
Dad