CUCV's and towing with a 6.2 boat motor

From: David Ball (vought@msn.com)
Date: Fri Mar 14 2003 - 23:06:55 PST

I have had two Hummers, one a 1994 M1026 slant back HMMWV and the other a
1996 civy Wagon I towed with both the civy Turbo did better but still fell
apart quite often and got terrible mileage.
The 6.2 and 6.5 are terrible engines for towing economically but will tow if
asked too. I have a 2001 Dodge W2500 V-10 (488cu.in.) engine that will pull
circles around the 6.2. I have pulled a 14,000lb trailer up a 10% grade at
65 miles an hour with the AC on of course the mileage stinks but it is very
close to both Hummers 16MPG. The Big difference is the Dodge has not broke
down the GM diesel was a head gasket, #8 cylinder, glow plug, injector pump
eating pile of bird droppings. I sat one night and went over what it cost to
own for a year and with out warranty it would have been $24,000 dollars
seeing AMG changed the motor twice in my 96 and then the turbo, And then the
head gasket and many other things. You cannot compare commercial use to
personal use because of the maintenance that's available and bigger
transmissions and gearing used. I think the 6.5 is better suited to hauling
a load with a intercooler Turbo and a 5 speed manual transmission the safe
power range is between 1000 and 2000 rpm it is hard to drive in this range
with a turbo 400 automatic transmission and a heavy load climbing grades
second 2nd gear is a killer when hauling it will be head gasket time soon
unless you pull in behind the big rigs and pull up at 35 MPH.
My Dodge cost $26,000 with 1 ton suspension and all the living room add ons
and it will haul a 2500 pound equipment trailer with a 1 1/2 ton Chevy dump
truck with winch on the back plus a ton of odds and ends no problem its
almost like nothings back there...... Try that with your CUCV better yet
don't.
The Cummins was a $6500 option I priced a V10 in the crate $4700 new I will
change my motor or buy a new truck at 150,000 miles what good is a motor
that lasts 300,000 miles if the rest of the truck is a worn out wreck.....

Dave