Re: [MV] xm211, cckw, help!

From: william f cox (grntrks@juno.com)
Date: Sun Mar 16 2003 - 07:00:40 PST

Caleb,
As I understand it, from several folks I know locally, the auto-trans in
these trucks has a weak spot in HIGH RANGE REVERSE. But, if you always
come to a complete stop before shifting and then always use LOW RANGE
reverse they are more reliable. I have 2 friends who drive these and
love the trucks.

The CCKW was a WW11 GMC. The M135/M211 GMC's are " Korean War " vintage
Hope this helps.

By the way, be very careful to use the correct oil in the trans. ATF
fluid does'nt not work in them and will fry the trans VERY quickly.

Frank

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 21:07:58 -0800 "Caleb Pal, Network Operations"
<sysop@spitfire.homelinux.com> writes:
> Hello List,
>
> I was looking for a M35A2, but i found out that a local farmer has 2
> CCKW's,
> (I think they are 1953's), model XM211. So, I am looking for some
> information about them. I have heard that the transmissions and or
> transfer
> cases are prone to failure. Is there truth to this? I am pretty sure
> it has
> a 302 inline 6 cylinder. One thing i was thinking about, is it
> practical to
> throw something like a small block chevy 305 in there? I have one
> lying
> around i could pop in there if it would work. I might be able to get
> it for
> cheep, so i guess i am also asking would it cost more in the long
> run
> because of transmission failure, etc. Also, i dont know what kind
> of
> mechanism engages the fron end. thanks a lot for any help, as usual
> i am
> asking tons of questions!!
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Caleb