Ferret Trans USA Road Run

From: jimweb@endgame.demon.co.uk
Date: Mon Mar 17 2003 - 15:48:51 PST

As at least six people have asked me for more information about this
event and as no doubt more will, I will reply to the general list.

In 2005 an band of insane individuals from Europe, Australia and the USA
will drive two Ferret Scout Cars from the east to the west coasts of
continental USA. The aim of the drive will be to raise funds for the
British & American Legions [though I am having considerable difficulty
getting a response from the American Legion]

To make it more interesting its not quite a direct route. Provisional
start point is Aberdeen Museum then we head west to the Appalachian
trail [the road not the actual trail] and follow it south thru Maryland,
West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia to US-80. Then head
east along US-80 thru Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas till we
reach the junction with US-82 Then north to the junction with Route 66
and then west thru New mexico and Arizona to the junction with Highway
93. Head north to the junction with US-50 then east to the coast.

The time of year has not been settled yet [late spring or early autumn]
as we hope to take in a few shows/parades etc where we can 'shake the
bucket' and collect donations. Any suggestions gratefully received.

If anyone would like to accompany us for part of/the whole distance then
please feel free to let us know! Vehicle not needed if you want to hitch
a lift as I am sure we can find space for another tyre repairer... oops
enthusiast :-). We will provide food/shelter and something to fix. Fuel
will be supplied to any ex-military vehicle that turns up and if you can
carry something or tow a trailer then that will be even better.

The trip itself with probably last 15-20 days if I have done my
calculations right.

If your Legion post is along the route then we would like to visit.

Lastly we already have a number of volunteers looking out for us along
various parts of the route and I would like to thank them - they include

Bill Webster [USA - California]
Andy Pickle [USA - North Carolina]
Phil Vanover [USA - Virginia]
Ryan Gill [USA - Georgia]
L Branson [USA - Texas]

We still need volunteers for the following areas; Aberdeen Museum,
Maryland, West Virginia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, New Mexico and
Arizona. Its just a case of local liason, finding camping places etc.

More information can be found on the forums at:

http@//www.ferretscoutcar.info

May all your breakdowns be minor ones......

--
TTFN
Jim