Re: [MV] bio diesel and other fuel options

From: J Travis (dagobert@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Mar 17 2003 - 21:04:13 PST

Bjorn Brandstedt wrote:

> I found one recipe for making biodiesel, which involves methanol and
> cooking oil. The proportions were 20% methanol and 80% oil with
> caustic soda as a catalyst. The price of methanol is about
> $20.00/gallon and low cost supermarket cooking oil may cost about
> $4.00/gallon. Using these ingredients, a batch of 10 gallons comes to
> a wopping $72.00.
> That's a far cry from $.55/gallon...
>
> What am I missing here? What other recipes are there?

Bjorn,
I'm guessing that what you are missing is the idea to get USED cooking
oil from local resturants rather than buying it new, and filter it well.
 If you can get it for the trouble of draining it and carrying it home,
then the cost goes down $4 @ gallon for 80% of the volume of the
mixture. Otherwise, you're right; it would be cost prohibitive to
home-brew it.
Jay Travis