Jeep Tailgate Restoration

From: Horrocks, Aaron (ACHb@pge.com)
Date: Tue Mar 18 2003 - 13:03:26 PST

Hi List,

Need some advice/answers. The tailgate of my jeep was cut out in Korea, they welded some angle iron on all the sharp edges, and used gate hinges on the bottom for a makeshift tailgate. I can make another set of gate hinges fit, but keeping the tailgate up and locked in the normal position would take a bit of work.

To go as military & authentic as possible, I was thinking of welding on a couple of loops on the top by both sides and also canvas covered chain with hooks at the end. It can lock the tailgate up, and lock it in the down position. This is already seen on some MVs like the M35A2.

I'm pretty sure that they were on the M170 (Ambulance version of the M38A1) and I would need and very much like to buy the 4 brackets to weld to the jeep, the chains with the hooks, and the canvas that covers them. Does this come in a kit from anywhere? Any surplus? reproduction? Someone have a parts M170 they can cannibalize?

Thanks in advance,

Aaron Horrocks
1952 M38A1