Re: [MV] Deuce w/HIAB crane pix

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 16:10:55 PST

Dave,
The lifting capacity of my particular knuckle boom was listed on a post a
couple of hours ago, however, at 12 ft the lifting capacity is 4,200 lb,
which is about 1/2 the capacity of the 5-ton wrecker. There are many
advantages inherent with the knuckle boom, for example, the bed of the truck
is available for loading and the tip (hook) of the knuckle boom can reach
every square foot of the truck except for parts of the cab top. The front
winch can easily be installed/removed with the HIAB
and all tires can be installed with a special wheel handling "hook". The
hydraulic outriggers eliminate the need for a jack, by the way. They will
easily elevate the entire truck (even when loaded to capacity) and being
centered, I simply swing the boom forward to tip the rear up and back to
lift the front up.

FYI, there are many smaller and also bigger knuckle booms to choose from,
the trick is to find a good used one since they are pretty expensive.
This particular one was specified by the Navy for the International Loadstar
truck.

The hydraulically extended boom is like a robotic arm with a maximum reach
of 20 ft (without mechanical extensions). Several years ago it was used to
remove a 500 lb wood stove from within a kitchen of the people that we
purchased it from. The truck was parked near the door of the house and the
boom was hydraulically extended through it into the kitchen where the stove
was sitting. Worked like a charm. I love it!
With fixed, "mechanical" extensions I have had a reach of about 35 ft.

The 1200 gallon fuel tank was lifted off the truck with this crane without
difficulty.

I posted a few more pictures today...

Bjorn