Re: [MV] Winch Cable Testing

From: Paul A. Thomas (bluewhale@jaxkneppers.com)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 16:39:58 PST

> and make sure the seller knows that
> they are the correct ones. Wire cable in the face is not a good thing- I
> had to take care of a guy that happened to once, and it was very ugly.

Thanks John, but I was able to pick up 10 or so from Gene Patano a couple
of months ago. Should last me a few years ( I hope ! ). After seeing more
and more about Bjorn's knuckle boom I'm getting bad ideas.... the boom
looks SO much more useful than the M543A2 I've always wanted.

As the manuals can be a little dry, and possibly not cover all eventualities..
In the Motor Pool we would normally unwind winch cables, attach to a
vehicle and slowly bring the winch line in... someone would have to brake
the winched vehicle as the lot was flat... we never cleaned the winch
lines. Only inspected and oiled or greased ( can't recall ) them.
I plan on inspecting and lubing, however I wonder : would the line be
better off being cleaned as it's been ignored for a couple of
decades? Perhaps with something that cuts rust as well as grease? Blowing
it clean with my power washer seems stupid in that I would be forcing water
INTO the cable, but... ? It works well for rope lines on a friends sail
boat but might it work??

Has anyone ever cleaned their winch cable? Or do you just use it until it
starts to fray and shorten or replace it then?

Thanks

        Paul