maintenance on the Gamagoat

From: Beth (bcarrell@neo.rr.com)
Date: Thu Mar 20 2003 - 12:45:34 PST

Yes, maintenance again today. Finally checked and filled the front steering
box as well as the front diff. I have hit most of the Zerk fittings.
Overall, I would say 90% of the PM is done. I pulled the center brake drums
to have a look-see. Driver side was pristine, passenger side was a rusty
mess. I didn't remove the assembly as I don't have the time right now to do
the bleed. I did need to top off the master cylinder, had to bite the bullet
on a pint of DOT 5. I know I can get it cheaper but I needed some now.
Anyway, I took it for a test drive after adjusting the center axle brakes.
The driver side was a little warm, nothing (cold) on the driver side. I do
have a wheel cylinder which I will use on that wheel. The pass. rear brake
drum was not as hot as it had gotten before, which tells me it is A) Doing
less of the stopping work, and B) After adjusting is probably not dragging.
So far the shoes on the three I've taken apart look pretty good. Had a good
time filling the front steering box ( yeh, right). Took my old Marine Corps
(1950s) neighbor for a short spin , he smiled alot. Made sure to check the
bleed screws so they will loosen when the time comes. Added a battery
terminal cut-off switch to the system for security. I feel I have a handle
on the brake problem and can get them to normal operation. I will change the
belts and hoses as well. Next is the oil change ( got all the stuff) and
then some clean-up in anticipation of painting it Day-glo
orange.........just kidding. Going back to 383 3 color camo. I can see the
light at the end of the tunnel, I think.
Happy Days,
Now back to kids and family
Tom C.
71 GG