Knuckleboom on M51?

From: Bill & Bonnie Prestin (bprestin@chartermi.net)
Date: Thu Mar 20 2003 - 19:27:59 PST

Dave, I also have an M51 Dump. Mine is a gasser. I have never measured the
space between the bed and the cab, but all you need is 2 ft of space to
mount most knuckleboom cranes. You would have to remove the cab shield and
spare tire rack of course. My cab shield has been welded on, but I think,
originally, it was only bolted. (My deuce dump bed used to have a cab
shield, but I had to remove it to allow space for the crane). There also has
to be space for the legs of the crane. The fuel tanks would have to be
removed and narrower ones installed. Then you would have to devise a method
to power the hydraulic system. I think it could be done though.

Let me know if you end up installing one.
Good luck,

Bill