Power steering pump on LDS465-1A questions

From: Bill & Bonnie Prestin (bprestin@chartermi.net)
Date: Thu Mar 20 2003 - 20:12:48 PST

Anyone,
    I have a question about the power steering system on the 5 ton trucks
that use the LDS465-1A engine. I have this engine installed in my deuce & I
would like to keep the power steering pump on the engine. I think I could
use it to operate, maybe, a hydraulic winch for on the rear of the truck
(thanks for the idea Blaine). When I got the engine it had a tag hanging on
the pump saying it was: for the newer 1500lb system, not the 1000lb system
on the older trucks.
    There are three ports on the pump. Which are which? Is one a bypass?
Could I use a power steering reservoir system from a 5 ton with the same
engine? Anyone know where I could find one? As the pump would turn all the
time during engine operation, I will have to hook up some type of system to
allow continuous hydraulic fluid flow. Do these systems also have a fluid
cooler?

Anyone know about these power steering systems?

Thanks,

Bill
bprestin@chartermi.net