M715 ballast?

From: Mike and Cheryl (mleaton@netins.net)
Date: Thu Mar 20 2003 - 20:41:03 PST

I have been keeping up on the M37 ignition replies, have a miss in
a M715 seems similar. Have a couple questions.

Are the distributor cap, rotor, condenser, and points the same as a M37
(seems like I heard it)?

Looking at a exploded view of distributor it shows a Ballast under the coil
what is it?

I have a M37 and was told (by the list) to set timing by vacuum, what is the
range for a M715?

The M715 has a new cam (not sure if original) will the motors run ok with no
muffler?
  (This one has straight pipe for exhaust).

The engine sounds ok at idle, but weak like a vacuum leak when revved up.
any suggestions?

I am planning on getting parts for distributor now and see what that does

The M715 is currently owned by our fire dept as a brush vehicle. Will
hopefully be mine someday,
maybe sooner.

M715 (1 1/4 ton Jeep Kaiser cargo truck)
Thanks
Mike in Iowa
mleaton@netins.net