Re: [MV] M38A1 Overflowed

From: william f cox (grntrks@juno.com)
Date: Fri Mar 21 2003 - 00:54:12 PST

Tom,

A couple of simple checks before you get too drastic.

Check the radiator cap! Look for cracked, grooved, shrunken (sp) gasket.
Take the cap to a radiator shop and have it checked for holding pressure.
 It may not be sealing properly.

Also, how full is the radiator? If over filled, the excess coolant will
be expelled through the overflow. The coolant level when cold should
have enough room for expansion. I fill all my radiators to 1 inch below
the top of the surge tank and have no problems with overflow or
overheating.

Frank

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 09:59:48 -0500 "Thomas M McHugh" <tmmchugh@msn.com>
writes:
> Thanks all, for the ( 18 ) quick replies on & off list.
>
> Water Pump &/or Belt seems to be the first to verify. Rust in
> Block will
> be next. A compression test is planned now.
>
> A Cracked Head or Block seem less likely since it showed no water on
> or
> under the engine area, was run at speed several times after the
> radiator was
> fixed & cleaned. The overflow was the source of water
>
> As soon as I can take a ride & help check it out, I will let you
> know.
>
> AGAIN: THANKS MUCH. This is why the List is so great.
>
> Tom McHugh, NJ

Frank Cox (grntrks@juno.com)
MVPA 14530
'45 GMC 353 DUKW