Re: [MV] Fw: WHO IS SMARTER AND BETTER QUALIFIED?

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Fri Mar 21 2003 - 10:17:57 PST

Bill,

I just wanted to point one thing out...

>Jane Fonda should have been tried as a traitor as it was obvious she gave
>aide to the enemies of the United States of America during the time of war.

As much as I agree that traveling to a nation we are effectively at war
with is despicable, it is not Treason unless war is actually declared.
 Since we never declared war on North Vietnam, and she didn't do take up
arms against Americans, there is nothing illegal about what she did. And
that includes Treason. It is our rights as Americans to disagree with
the morality of her action just as it is for her to disagree with the
morality of the government of her time.

I for one am against significant military action with Congressional blank
checks. Congress is supposed to formally declare war. It is what the
Founding Fathers intended and is a MAJOR check and balance against the
power of the Executive Branch. Unfortunately, Congress loves to duck
responsibility and then take credit for success (or criticize for
failure) after the fact. By NOT explicitly authorizing the use of
military forces, they can do that.

Personally, I am for the war and support of our troops 210%, but I am
also very much against Bush and his heavy handed (and clumsy) handling of
the diplomacy leading up to this war. It is my opinion, and the opinion
of a significant number of "pro war" Americans, that has put our country
at greater risk than it should be in right now. I am a historian and
feel confident that in the near future most historians will view Bush's
diplomatic and domestic performance quite unfavorably.

Steve