Re: [MV] Radio Question

From: Patrick Jankowiak (eccm@swbell.net)
Date: Sat Mar 22 2003 - 20:54:08 PST

The OA-3633/GRC Amplifier-Power Supply Group converts 22-28 volts (24
VDC nominal) vehicle power to 12.5 to 15 volts DC to allow operation
of the receiver transmitter from the AN/PRC-77 manpack as a vehicle
radio in either the AN/VRC-64 or AN/GRC-160 configuration. The group
consists of an AM-2060/GRC Audio Amplifier-Power Supply for received
signals - with manually selected antenna matching circuit, a
loudspeaker, operating controls built in and CX-4655/GRC Special
Purpose Electrical Cable Assembly for interface with the
receiver-transmitter.

The MT-1029/VRC Vehicular Mount is used to mount the amplifier-power
supply to the vehicle. The mount contains a junction box with
connectors to provide distribution of power, control and signal
voltages between the amplifier-power supply and other components in
the system. A connector on the front of the junction box mates with a
connector at the rear of the amplifier-power supply. Three additional
connectors at the bottom of the junction box provide for connecting
the system's power and control cables. (this is also the mount that
you could slide an RT524 into)

The H-189/GR Handset contains a dynamic microphone and receiver for
transmitting and receiving signals. A push-to-talk switch is mounted
in the handle. The connecting cord is retractile and terminates in a
five-pin connector.

The ST-138/PRC-25 Harness is a cotton duck back pack. It is sewn to
secure the receiver-transmitter so that it can be carried on the
operatorís back.

The CW-503/PRC-25 Bag is a sectionalized canvas carrying case used to
store the two whip antennas and the handset.

The AT-892/PRC-25 is a one-section, three foot, whip antenna. A spring
at its base allows the antenna to be placed in a vertical position no
matter what the position of the receiver-transmitter. It is
constructed of steel tape and can be folded for storage.

The AT-271A/PRC is a six section, tubular, folding whip antenna. A
stainless steel, plastic-covered cable (or braided plastic cord) under
spring tension is threaded through the sections to keep them together
when assembled for operation and prevent their separation or loss when
disassembled. Spring tension is provided by a spiral spring in the
base section. An antenna top cap installed on the tip of the antenna
provides protection for personnel.

The AB-591/PRC-25 is an antenna base that will act as a rigid support
for the tubular six section antenna.

====
Properly working and guaranteed PRC-77 can go for about $300,
sometimes more, as they are not getting any more common.. AM-2060 with
cables etc goes for about $350. The MT-1029 is about $20-30, The
PRC-77 acessories prices vary widely, so you can find almost any price
if you look hard enough. Handset is about $10-25, antennas are about
$20-40, it all depends. Just do some shopping. Also beware some
sellers' definition of a 'working' radio may differ from your own!
Avoid the real military batteries, and either rig up 10 C cells with
radio shack holders in the battery box, or buy a 10 D cell holder
which is perfect replacement from prc68.com.