M35 Air shift ??

From: Ronzo (rojoha@attbi.com)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2003 - 07:43:57 PST

    Please don't flame me, but I have an MV related question that I posted
to the 'Why not nuke Iraq', 'Army Radios' and 'News Nerds' newsgroups, where
there seems to be more off topic posts pertaining to MV's than their lists
subject, but couldn't get an answer that made sense.

    Several months ago, we discussed the use of the High/Low range in
driving the M35 in 6X4 mode. I use it on my NA M35 in city driving and any
driving under 25 MPH. Problems cited by many was the safety/advisability of
reaching through the steering wheel (???) while shifting.
    Anyways, I throw out to the members of the list who are mechanically
inclined and/or clever fabrication wise this idea to brain trust and maybe
devise a side line source of income.
    Looking at the 209/361 series manuals, the linkage and throw of the
High/Low Lever seems to be about 1 inch to change from High to Low and back.
Not being mechanically inclined, but full of useless ideas, I propose the
following:
    Use a 2 way air ram to operate the High/Low range transmission. Ram
direction is controlled by an electrical solenoid valve, which is in turn
controlled by a switch on the shifter, similar to the switch used on two
speed rear end equipped trucks.
    This would then allow safe and easy usage of the dual range on the
tranny for those hill or load conditions that are problem when shifting from
1st through 3rd,and allow 4th and 5th to be more useful to match load
conditions that are too tall for 4/5 high range, but beg a shift from
2nd/3rd. I have noticed quite a few folks who own deuces getting stuck on
hills or blowing shifts and having to come to a complete stop on a hill and
taking the hill in first or slipping the clutch for seconds on end.
    Maybe too sexy would be little panel to attach to the dash or mount over
the tach for those easily confused with a red and green LEDs with a HIGH
(green LED) LOW (red LED) range tags. That way they would (maybe) catch
on why they are in 5th at 3100 RPM but only going 31 MPH with no apparent
increase in speed with the pedal buried.

    Anyone care to tackle this project?

        Ronxxxxx