M1010 fuel problem?

From: Ronzo (rojoha@attbi.com)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2003 - 08:33:51 PST

    Whoa!!! Another MV post!!

    Read through a bunch of past CUCV posts to see if someone else had
posted similar symptoms, with little luck.
    My M1010 is behaving like it is fuel starved. Get fuel flow out filter
drain/bleed when engine is running.
    Should there be fuel flow out the bleed line if the key is on but engine
not cranking/running?

    Started the truck yesterday AM (hard to catch) and after running for 10
seconds or so, it stalled. Restarted, idled for 5 minutes or so and then I
took off. Truck ran ok until I got on the exit, where it had poor pedal
response, even after I manually downshifted. Mash pedal to the floor with
little or no effect, then a couple of bucks and then a surge of power. Got
it up to 55 and held it there for a couple of minutes and the engine started
'hunting' while holding pedal steady. Big surge of power, then roll off and
more hunting. Get off highway and reach end of exit to merge and get 'rotten
plum' feeling when pedal gets mashed, then a delay of a couple of seconds
with engine stumbling before power comes back.
    I am going out now to get a new fuel filter and a K&N air filter as
recommended in past list posts.
    I buy my diesel at a large station and use anti-gel/conditioner year
round. Get only diesel out bleed line, no H2O. Does gelling occur at temps
above 40 degrees F? I have been told by a couple of diesel owners that the
brutally cold winter caused the fuel manufactures to change over to summer
fuel early, since they needed to make home heating fuel which cut into the
winter diesel fraction. Not into petrochemical formulation, this seem to
make sense to anyone?
    Is fuel filter heater necessary/cycling when engine is running? Wait
light cycling only indicate glow plug activation if card was inplace/intact?

    I see several posts on hard start/drain back problems and comments on
the pressure switch in/under the fuel filter. I can see from Derek's and
Sando's posts that one way valves and such from Standyne are sensible mods.
Anyone ever posted the 'definitive' mods to these beasts fuel systems? I
find the manuals on the CUCV series not living up to the M35's -361 series,
let alone the -209 series.
    Online source that folks have had good luck buying Standyne parts on
line?

    Open to suggestions....

    Ronxxxxx