Re: [MV] CNN quote of the day

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2003 - 14:37:30 PST

>Steve It seems going over your posts of the last several months you bash a
>lot of things that are American the politicians, American history, American
>rights and laws Decorated Marine Vets following orders or even now American
>news.

North might have been decorated (McVeigh was too, so what is your
point?), but he most certainly did NOT follow the laws of this nation.
 He was in fact conviced in a court of law and sentenced to jail for
comitting crimes against the country. Military code says that it a
soldier's SWORN DUTY to disobey any illegal order, which (no surprise) is
a fact you don't care to challenge. Sorry if you don't like the facts,
but that doesn't change reality.

BTW, it was at Nuremburg where we firmly established that "following
orders" is not either an excuse or a morally defensible position. We
hung many Nazis who made such defenses, and jailed thousands more. In
fact, Bush and the rest of the administration just got through warning
the Iraqi regime not to forget this either. And that is right and
propper. Perhaps you should listen more carefully to what our President
says. I might not agree with everything he says, but I very much do
agree with that.

>You do not like America what's up with the Anti American slant.

I love my country no matter what too. But that has nothing to do with
ignoring reactionary elements which undermine it. Or hadn't you noticed
that we have just started our SECOND WAR against a regime we put into
place in order to have a non-communist/muslim government in the area?
Hopefully this will finally put an end to the foreign policy of "yes, he
is a bloody tyrant, but he is OUR bloody tyrant" thinking (I forget who
said that, was it Kissenger?).

You have no idea how much I have defended this country in front of people
from around the world. The difference between you and I is that I defend
what is defendable, not that which is not.

>I hear they
>are looking for good history teachers in France.

Well, I did get a degree in History. How about you? And I am sure I
could attempt to teach the French a thing or two about how much this war
is their fault, because it is. But like you, I don't think they would
listen to reason and facts. Much easier to shout down what you don't
want to hear.

>Sorry for the non MV content but the American bashing is getting on my
>nerves this is my country and I love it no matter its faults, It is the best
>damn country period.

Find me any comment where I said it was anything less than that? You
seem to think that best = perfect. Very naive.

>And go Olie....

"Go convicted criminal who pissed on the Constitution and was pardoned in
exchange for taking the fall for others" Longer, but far more accurate.

Your post is a typical right wing knee jerk uninformed baseless abuse of
someone who is expressing his 1st Ammendement right. A right which you
should support if you are as pro-American as you claim to be. Note also
that you did not challenge a single fact I presented, just attacked me
for having an opinion that is different from yours. I expect nothing
less from anybody that is on the extreme end of the political spectrum.
 Intelligent debates are not what you want because, God forbid, it might
make you think about what really goes on in the world. Much easier to
live in dennial.

Shouting me down in an attempt to silence me is far more anti-American
than anything I have ever said on this list. Shame on you.

Steve

P.S. I am for this war and I support our troops fully. That does not
mean I do, or have to, support Bush like some sort of demigod.