Re: [MV] Super Singles Pros and Cons?!

From: Greg (czechsix@cox.net)
Date: Wed Mar 26 2003 - 13:55:48 PST

Yes, interesting.

It sounds like they were testing the 14.00x20's on these trucks - I would
think that the 11.00x20s would be fine, or possibly 12.50x20's in a
different ply rating, if everything clears everything else. My primary
concern would not be so much the rollover issue, since that's related to
driver skills, but the traction issue. Right now I've got some Michelin XL
11.00x20's on my Unimog. Much more aggressive pattern, and they're commonly
used out here on the west coast in certain industries, so they're available
used - is anyone running them as singles on a deuce?

The other thing that wasn't stated in that previous message is - what was
the loading on the trucks? Fully loaded? (as I would expect).

What kind of loads/terrain caused the common failures? Was this a test
designed to take the trucks to failure limits?

What I'm getting at is that it sounds like this was one of the standard
tests designed to bring up failures as rapidly as possible to assess the
mechanical system. Most of us would never come near treating our trucks like
that, and even with super singles in the 14.00x20 size, there's a good
possibility that they would survive a long time, as long as maintenance is
pulled, loads are light, and the driver has a good idea of the limitations.

Interesting anecdote, but I think I'll run the standard tires for a while,
then maybe switch over to a more aggressive tread in the 9.00x20 size. Maybe
get them siped too.

Also, a while ago someone posted a short message relating that someone had
modified their duece by lengthening the torque rods for the rears, and
adding a couple of longer leaf springs.. I think the guy was back east, but
I'd like to hear how successful it was - did he encounter any problems with
it?

Greg
Vista,CA