Last flight of "Memphis Belle"

From: Everette (194cbteng@pchnet.com)
Date: Sun Mar 30 2003 - 15:17:05 PST

I hope a B17 is enough MV that I do not get flamed for this

I saw in Commercial Appeal (Memphis, Tn newspaper) that the grand old lady
is making her last (I hope) flight. Shorn of her wings, nose, tail, wheels
etc. Last flight was via crane as she was loaded on truck to be once again
rebuilt for display.

First time I saw the lady she was behind a chain link fence sitting on
concrete pad just big enough for her. Painted navy gray, no markings and it
appeared windows had been replaced by plywood, also painted gray. Looked
like she was crying.

The she was taken apart and moved to Presidents Island, restored by
volunteers (some of which are friends of mine) and left outrside to make a
place for vandals to visit.

U S Air Force did not appreciate the treatment she was receiving and started
procedures to take position of her. (Might have been best for the old bird)
City of Memphis built an open air parachute shaped cover over her, still
open to vandals, pigeons, weather, whatever. Again volunteers tried to keep
her safe.

Now she is once again being moved to an enclosed building, maybe I will be
able to see her again after the rebuild.

 She is going to be as I understand in the Tuskegee Airman museum.

Why I do not know for I do not think they were not in operation at same
time.

I have thoughts on this but not for publication.

Everette

Not always correct; but never in doubt