Matt, Jess, and Greg's excellent adventure (M185A3)

From: Gandjpappy@aol.com
Date: Sun Mar 30 2003 - 16:13:20 PST

Well, after a very long search, there is finally a Deuce to add to the mix.

My friend Matt (M37, M170, and Carry All), his brother Jess (M715), Jess's wife Sue (she had all the money) and I made a whirlwind trip from Michigan to New York this weekend to pick up a 1970 Road Runner (Jess is diversifing his collection) and a Deuce for me. We left Michigan on Friday at 4:00 and drove to Rome New York on Friday night so that we could pick up the Road Runner at 7:30 in the AM and be back to Clyde New York at 11:00 to pick up the M185A3. We arrived back home this morning at about 2:15 safe and sound although we did have some issues with the Deuce. The car arrived safe although it did ride on a trailer the whole way. Driving a strange Deuce 550 miles in rain and 30+ degree weather (without heat) can be a whole adventure by itself.

I will be having a series of questions that I hope do not boar those of you that have heard them before, but I would like to get some advice from the experts out there.

I will start with this one. The engine has a tag on it that reads 465-1D which I believe means that it is the latest Deuce engine (this is a 1967 model which did not originally have a turbo). The turbo has a very definite whistle to it, did the D turbo whstle a lot also? I had heard the -1C turbo referred to as the whistler and thought that the D did not whistle? How can I visually check to see if it is a D or C model turbo charger? What is the difference between the C & D turbos? More questions later regarding my power loss, Van Box value, speed Vs RPM, speedometer error, installation issues, websites, heater, hood, drop side beds, etc, etc.

Thanks
Greg
M38
M37