WWII MV Convoy Update, 9-11 May 03

From: Tim Scherrer (soldierboy440@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Mar 31 2003 - 19:38:49 PST

2003 WWII CONVOY THROUGH MISSOURI WINE COUNTRY

Plans are progressing well for the convoy scheduled
for May 10, 2003. Approximately 45 vehicles have
responded that they will be attending the event. The
cities of Moberly, Fayette, Rocheport and Columbia are
excited and gearing up for the event.

The convoy has already received press coverage from
various local media venues. The Railsplitters
appeared on a local TV show and a local magazine
printed an article about the event. One rural
magazine printed an article on the convoy that
mistakenly asked for additional drivers for the event.
 Since that time, we have been fielding calls from
WWII veterans wanting to drive vehicles in the event.
Although the article did contain some misinformation,
the response to the article is representative of the
enthusiasm for the event in Missouri communities.

In order to include veterans that may not be able to
participate on the 100-mile convoy route, a new event
has been planned for the convoy weekend – Vet Ride
2003. The Railsplitters have coordinated with the
Harry S. Truman VA Hospital (the hospital primarily
cares for substance abuse and hospice patients) to
provide rides to veterans in military vehicles. For
those of you that will arrive for the convoy on Friday
with your vehicles, if you would like to participate
in Vet Ride 2003 and honor our veterans, please meet
at the VFW Hall at 2:00 p.m. on Friday, May 9th.

Please remember that all participants in the convoy
must register for the event. Whether you are driving
a vehicle or participating as a rider, you must send
in a registration form. There is no registration fee
to participate in the event. To obtain a copy of the
form, go to the Railsplitter website at
http://www.geocities.com/soldierboy440/railsplitters
and click on the icon for the WWII convoy. Once you
are on the convoy site, you will see links for the
event guidelines and registration form.

If you are planning on reserving a hotel room for the
event, the Railsplitters has selected the Ramada Inn
as the official hotel for the event. The Ramada Inn
will provide a free breakfast and is conveniently
located across the interstate from the VFW Hall where
the convoy will begin. For those of you that will be
bringing vehicles that require trailers, the Ramada
Inn has a large parking area that will accommodate
your vehicles and trailers. The Railsplitters has
negotiated a block of rooms at a special rate for
convoy participants. You must register by April 15th
in order to get the special room rate. Contact
numbers and other lodging information can be found on
the Railsplitter website under the convoy icon.

The Railsplitters are also negotiating with an area
vendor to produce T-shirts for participants to
purchase that will commemorate the event. If you are
interested in purchasing a T-shirt, please e-mail us
at soldierboy440@yahoo.com with the number and sizes
of the T-shirts that you might like to purchase.
This will allow our organization to obtain a
preliminary count of how many T-shirts to have made.
Do not send money to us now! We will make the
T-shirts available at the event and you can pay us
then. We are anticipating using the convoy design on
the convoy site for the T-shirts.
The excitement generated by this event both in and
outside the hobby has surprised us. We are glad to be
your hosts and are doing everything possible to make
this event a success. If you run into any problems or
issues, or vets wishing to drive your vehicles, please
contact us. We want this to be one of the best events
you have attended.

Tim, Liz, and the other Railsplitters….