Preparing deuce for Aberdeen

From: k, d, j, m, & a miller (thisoldhouse@libcom.com)
Date: Tue Apr 01 2003 - 18:25:27 PST

hi.
Started going over my deuce for the 600+ mile round
trip to Aberdeen...
I had trouble about a year or so ago
with losing the front wheel bearings. I had to limp the
truck home from about a mile away. At this point, there
was no passenger side wheel bearings left. At one point
the whole wheel, with hub attached, came off. I jacked the
truck up, jammed the wheel back on and slowly continued
home. It took about 3 hours to go that mile. I had damage to
the spindle, which was welded up and re-machined. The hub
had slight damage to the inner bearing area. I bought new
outer and inner bearings and races. The press fit of the inner
bearing was not really a press fit. It went in with a slight tap.
I was slightly concerned, but thought it would be OK.

Fast forward a year to today. I decided I better check both
front bearings. The drivers side was fine. I repacked the
bearings with grease, checked everything over, and moved
all tools to the passenger side. Took the big 3 inch bearing
nuts off, lifted the hub gently off, only to hear the inner race
clang to the floor. The so-so press fit of the bearing race in
the hub was now like putting a 3 inch rod in a 3.5 inch
hole. It clanged around. (It was not really that bad, the hole
was about 50-70 thousandths too big)

So, the hub is now up in Erie as a government job at the
machine shop where my brother works. I talked to him
tonight. The worn out hole was filled all around with weld
and will be machined tomorrow for a good press fit for
the bearing again.

By the way, the spindle that was welded and machined
before still looks good. I hope the hub, once fixed, will
last a long time.

Hope to see you at Aberdeen...

kurt miller
Pittsburgh
M35A2 w/sleeper sofa, 12 volt lights, and wooden hubs.
[Virus Scanned by Libcom]
[Libcom: The only true $9.95 Unlimited Service in Pittsburgh]