New to this, need M-54 help.

From: Adam Suess (ajsuess@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Apr 06 2003 - 14:48:21 PDT

Hello, I came across this list through a search. I read some of the arcives
and really liked reading them. I hope I'm doing this right. We have a 1968
M54 with a lds 465-1A engine, 2,100 miles. Is it normal for these to smoke
black at a idle (750 rpm) but to clear up at high rpms? Also this truck does
not smoke under load and has trouble getting over 2,000 rpm. I changed the
fuel filters which helped some but not much. I did find that the valve
clearences were way off in excess of .010 too loose and fixed that but did
not help the power or smoke much. Now I'm woundering if the pump timing is
off? Or if it isn't set right for this engine? Also haveing trouble loosing
air pressure fast once the truck is shut off. The only leak I can find is on
a valve assembly on top of the transmission. The air is comming out of a tee
with nothing attached to it in the middle of the valve assembly. 2 air lines
go to the transfer case from it. It seems to do somthing when the truck is
shifted from foward to reverse. Is this tee a exost for this valve or should
it be pluged and if it is a exost is it normal for air to be coming out all
the time? Does it shift the truck in and out of 6 wd? I don't have any
manuals for this truck and I'm stuck at this point. Sorry if I'm doing this
wrong. Thanks, Adam Suess