Multi-fuel, won't crank, I'm desperate

From: GOTAM35 (gotam35@sc.rr.com)
Date: Mon Apr 07 2003 - 19:31:50 PDT

Yes, I am desperate. I have done all I can do and that includes several
trips to my mechanic buddy for advise.

Here's the deal. I put a 87 Toole rebuilt motor out of a parts truck I have
in another M35 for my father-in-law. I have no reason to think the motor
shouldn't run. I also have no reason to think the motor should run. I have
good new diesel fuel up to everything except the injectors. I am getting a
small amount out at the injectors, but not much. I have drug the truck
behind the back-hoe at 500 rpms for 15 to 20 seconds at the time several
times. No response. If I drop a little gas in the intake it will fire off,
with leads me believe the engine has some compression. It even smokes a
little when you are trying to crank it, but that could be vapor? I have
removed the fuel shut off thingy and it looks like everything is moving
under it. The injector pump doesn't appear to have been removed since the
rebuild. A tag on the oil filters indicates the compensator has been by
passed so it can only run on diesel. My father-in-law is ready to start
tinkering with his first MV. I have got to get this thing cranked so I can
get it to him. HELP.

Joe (not a diesel mechanic after all) Trapp