Re: [MV] Duce popping out of 5th gear.

From: micdunn (micdunn@ev1.net)
Date: Tue Apr 08 2003 - 10:46:56 PDT

This is exactly what my deuce was doing last year. I have the spicer 3053A
five speed overdrive. Then it started to pop out of 2nd, 3rd and 4th under
no load. I asked the list for advice, the most common answers were
synchro's, poppet springs and bearings. I tore my tranny to pieces and found
nothing wrong with those 3 items. What I did find was two broken parts (one
gear and one slip piece) on the output shaft. After a fruitless search for
the two parts, I gave up and bought a completely NOS tranny. Beware of
pull-outs! Unless they come with a guarantee. I am now an expert at swapping
tranny's.
Whether your problem is the same as mine, or the synchro's or bearings, the
tranny has to come out. If it is the poppet springs, you only have to pull
the top off.
good luck!
-Sarge