Request for M35 Information

From: Gandjpappy@aol.com
Date: Sat Apr 12 2003 - 18:11:57 PDT

This will be a long note about hood fit, so if you're not interested at least you were forwarned.

The M35 that I just got appears to be a frankentruck. The truck has a Van body on the back but the condemnation paperwork said that the dataplate on the dash said M35A2 wo/w although the military was calling it an M185A3. Here is what I know/believe:

The truck is a 1967 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 wo/w which probably came as a non turbo truck. I say that because the engine is a 1989 LDT465-1D and they had to cut the inner fenderwell out with a torch to get the exhaust out to the fender. The truck was condemned in November of 1998.

The Cab is painted OD but the doors, the air inlets in front of the doors, the fenders, and the hood are painted camo to match the van body. I believe that they might have been put on this truck from the one that the van body came from which would explain the cab and hard top not being painted to match.

When I bought it the grill was misadjusted and stuck out about 0.75 inches from the front of the hood. Because of this, the hood latches did not work and the hood was held down by wire. At some time after it left the military it flew up and was creased by the hard top. I figure it was done later as the condemnation papers mentioned the grill problem but did not mention any damage to the hood. I fixed the grill by removing the frame mount bolts and moving it rearward to another set of bolts. Seems to fit fine now.

Now for the question. The hood on this truck had to have about 2 or 3 inches of the rear brace flange on the passenger side cut away to clear the air cleaner and the hood has about a 3/4 inch gap between it and the side access panels on both sides. I have never seen a truck with this big clearance so I am trying to figure out what does not fit? Did the non turbos or gas trucks have a different hood that did not come down the sides as far and have a different rear brace? Are the side panels different on different trucks? I really could use some assistance from someone who really knows the diffent configurations on these trucks.

Thanks
Greg